Thursday, July 14, 2011

Studio Day

My plans for the day are to work with my plein air sketches and sketchbook and develop comps for larger paintings.  It is a learning experience to find a rhythm between information gathering (plein air, comps) and painting creation.  There are so many more ideas than time to create paintings.

Yesterday, while driving to an appointment, I saw a beautiful cloud formation of flat topped, mushrooming cloud columns, behind the hills.  No camera.  No time.  An hour later on the way home the clouds had dissipated. Plein air is the practice of opportunity.  Always be prepared.

This morning was the fifth day in a row of "June gloom", so I've had no chance to go back to the Plateau for the morning light.  Every night I'm packed and ready to go.  Sooner or later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment